The last episode concerned a timely review of one aspect of MOMCOM, detailed in the book "Dismantling The Empire."
Today's post will do the same using a timely review of the book "The Spiritual-Industrial Complex" for reference purposes, however, I do suggest that you read the two complimentary Dredd Blog series: "Bully Worship: The Universal Religion" as well as "On The Origin of The Bully Religion."
The reason for considering all of them is that this subject necessitates the development of a broad based understanding of U.S. History, to countermand years of broad based propaganda.
It takes some time to help get one's mind around the notion of what Dredd Blog calls The Virgin MOMCOM:
The sanctuary of the holy war.(The Virgin MOMCOM). The book review I am using for reference, today, comes from a reputable source that may shake the world view of some readers:
The sanctuary of the jihad.
The sanctuary of sacrosanct military spending.
The sanctuary of the neo - American Religion.
Holy imperialism fat man.
A recent Dredd Blog post alluded to this new, gripping religion:
... there’s one huge area of government spending that Democrats and Republicans alike have so far treated as sacrosanct.(Is The Empress Taking Off Her Clothes?, quoting NY Times). The concept of the holy war is bound to the notion of the virgin birth, re-birth, and the ultimate self-righteousness, a.k.a. "exceptionalism", handed down from antiquity ...
It’s the military / security world ...
Today’s religious Right equates secularism with totalitarianism, and it opposes these twinned forces internationally and within the culture of the United States. Jonathan P. Herzog’s well-researched study demonstrates that the Right’s theological partisans are marshaling a system of beliefs initially forged by a coalition of conservatives, liberals, and moderates in the early Cold War. With assistance from clergy and interfaith groups, leaders in a variety of secular institutions promoted the idea that America was a covenant nation engaged in a holy war with a communist enemy whose belief system was a rival faith to Judeo-Christian democracy.(The Spiritual-Industrial Complex, emphasis added). That Journal of American History book review may sound over the top -- at first.
So, just to settle your nerves a bit, let me mention the credentials of the author of the book The Spiritual-Industrial Complex:
Jonathan P. Herzog is a member of the U.S. Foreign Service. Prior to joining the State Department, he held positions at Stanford University, the Hoover Institution, and the University of Oregon. He holds a Ph.D. in American history from Stanford.(Oxford University Press). Regular readers will know that the soul-shocking theme expressed in Dr. Herzog's book is quite a common thread throughout the Dredd Blog posts mentioned at the beginning of today's post.
That is because it is a common thread presented by the writers of American History, both in books and in scholarly papers discussed on Dredd Blog.
The recent "War on Terror" is nothing more than a continuation of this persistent infection that has been the death of nations.
The sheer madness of it is shown by a "spiritual communication" from a recent U.S. High Priest In Chief, a.k.a. president:
The President of France, Chirac, received a mixed missive from the President of the United States, Bush II.(The Dogma of The High Priest In Chief). The RNA or DNA pattern of the very old social virus we are discussing today was also noticed during one of the recent world wars:
It was so mixed that it confused Chirac.
Bush II told Chirac, in an official government communiqué, that the war against Iraq was god-ordained and prophesied in the Bible.
To support his dogmatic statement, Bush II pointed out these verses:
7. And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,(ICH...) ...
8. And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9. And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
The enemy aggressor is always pursuing a course of larceny, murder, rapine and barbarism. We are always moving forward with high mission, a destiny imposed by the Deity to regenerate our victims, while incidentally capturing their markets; to civilise savage and senile and paranoid peoples, while blundering accidentally into their oil wells.(Myth Addiction Is Establishment's LSD, quoting 1944 book). This social virus masking as another religion which is rife throughout The War College system has been identified by Dredd Blog as Mithraism, a war worshipping religion:
But so that we don't put the nuts and bolts of today's post off any longer, the contrast in the two Huffington Post pieces mentioned above can be drawn into full contrast with the following information that compares historical Mithraism with historical Christianity:(On The Origin of The Bully Religion, emphasis in original). The unthinkable carnage which that social virus posing as another religion has led to, at the hands of the servants of the "god of war," has also been detailed in all its gory shame in another recent Dredd Blog book review type post:
1) Mithras was “the Light of the World“ (Jesus said “I am the light of the world.” John 8:12).(see Mithraism - Univ. of Chicago and Mithraic Mysteries - Wikipedia). The first reaction a lot of people have is "well, what is the difference then?"
2) Mithras was a member of a Holy Trinity (“Christians are baptized ‘in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit’ … ‘The faith of all Christians rests on the Trinity.’ St. Caesarius of Arles, Sermo 9, Exp. symb.: CCL 103, 47″; see also Mt 28:19).
3) Mithras was born of a virgin (Jesus was born of a virgin. see Matthew 1:18-25).
4) Worshippers of Mithras held strong beliefs in a celestial heaven and an infernal hell (“The Bible speaks clearly of the existence of Heaven … Hell is also spoken of in the Bible, but its nature is even more sketchy. When Jesus described the destiny of sinners who refused to change their ways, he compared it to Gehenna, which was a rubbish dump outside Jerusalem. People in wretched poverty picked their way through it to find scraps, and fires burned”).
5) Worshippers of Mithras believed they would be given endless life (“For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality” I Cor 15:53).
6) Worshippers of Mithras believed in a final day of judgement in which the dead would resurrect (“But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?” I Cor 15:12).
7) Worshippers of Mithras believed in a final conflict that would destroy the existing order of all things (“Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to make war against the rider on the horse and his army” Rev 19:19; “Then they gathered the kings together to the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon” Rev 16:16).
8) Mithras worshippers believed that a ritualistic baptism was required of the faithful (“Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit …’” Matthew 28:18-20).
9) Mithras worshippers took part in a ceremony in which they drank wine and ate bread to symbolize the body and blood of Mithras (“While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, ‘Take and eat; this is my body’” Matthew 26:26; “And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, “Each of you drink from it, for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many” Matthew 26:26-28).
10) Mithras worshippers believed that Sundays were held sacred (“the majority observance of Christian Sabbath is as Sunday rest” - Wikipedia).
11) The birth of Mithras was celebrated annually on December the 25th (“Christmas … is an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ and a widely observed holiday, celebrated generally on December 25 by billions of people around the world” - Wikipedia).
12) Mithras took part in a Last Supper with his companions before ascending to heaven (“The Last Supper is the final meal that, according to Christian belief, Jesus shared with his Apostles in Jerusalem before his crucifixion.” Wikipedia; “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” Acts 1:11)
The title is taken from an order given to the U.S. forces who slaughtered more than 500 Vietnamese civilians in the notorious My Lai massacre of 1968. Drawing on interviews in Vietnam and a trove of previously unknown U.S. government documents — including internal military investigations of alleged war crimes in Vietnam — Turse argues that U.S. atrocities in Vietnam were not just isolated incidents, but "the inevitable outcome of deliberate policies, dictated at the highest levels of the military."(On The Origin of The Bully Religion - 2, reviewing "Kill Anything That Moves"). There is very little wonder that Mithraism was for the longest time the religion of the Roman Empire's military, and the religion of its Caesars:
Americans have long been taught that events such as the notorious My Lai massacre were isolated incidents in the Vietnam War, carried out by "a few bad apples." But as award‑winning journalist and historian Nick Turse demonstrates in this groundbreaking investigation, violence against Vietnamese noncombatants was not at all exceptional during the conflict. Rather, it was pervasive and systematic, the predictable consequence of orders to "kill anything that moves."
Drawing on more than a decade of research in secret Pentagon files and extensive interviews with American veterans and Vietnamese survivors, Turse reveals for the first time how official policies resulted in millions of innocent civilians killed and wounded. In shocking detail, he lays out the workings of a military machine that made crimes in almost every major American combat unit all but inevitable.
Mithraism became a military religion under the Romans. The many dangers to which the Roman soldiers were exposed caused them to seek the protection of the gods of their foreign comrades in order to obtain success in battle or a happier life through death. The soldiers adopted the Mithraic faith for its emphasis on victory, strength, and security in the next world. Temples and shrines were dedicated to Mithras across the empire. In 67 B.C., the first congregation of Mithras-worshipping soldiers existed in Rome under the command of General Pompey.(see Mithras in the Roman Empire, emphasis added). Nor is there any doubt that it is a religion that thinks nothing of slaughter:
“Polybius claimed that the Romans deliberately caused as much destruction as possible, slaughtering and dismembering animals as well as people, to deter other communities from resisting Roman demands to surrender; mercy. Male inhabitants were usually slaughtered, women raped, though only in exceptional circumstances killed in the initial orgy of destruction. After that, as tempers cooled and the desire for profit took over, prisoners would be taken for sale as slaves, though at times any considered to have a low market value, such as the very old, were still massacred.”(On The Origin of the Bully Religion, quoting Complete Roman Army). However, there is room for a lot of wonder and mystery about how that sicko religious social virus infected the entire U.S. military, but not much was said or done about it.
The previous post in this series is here.