Tuesday, September 8, 2015

New Type of SLC Detection Model

Fig. 1 Sea Level Zones
Regular readers know that I am into constructing a new software model program.

It will be used for detecting and projecting sea level change (SLC) by using a grid of zones with tide gauges in them.

Those zones are based on a database of  tide gauges located around the world (Databases Galore - 10).

Yesterday, I built the tidal gauges ("stations") database (1,417 stations), and the sea level database (54,106 yearly records of sea level, going back to the 1800's).

Today's effort did not go as good as I had planned, however, there is also good news.

I had planned to complete the zone identities and place them into the stations database (based on the grid shown @ Fig. 1 and Fig. 2).
Fig. 2 Id of zones "aa" thru "br" (36 zones)

I did finish the grid zone maps and the logic whereby each  station is traversed and the zone it is in identified, and recorded in the stations table.

But I did not get those values inserted into the stations table as planned.

That feature will be used in order select each station in a particular zone and detect changes from the year 2014 and before, compared with the current month and year's sea level data (and a host of other queries too).

Fig. 3 Some progress
However, I did test the logic so far by searching for latitude 32.7133331, longitude -117.1733322.

According to the stations table, those are the coordinates for a tidal gauge in San Diego, California.

It came up with grid zone "al" (Fig. 3) which is correct (Fig. 2).

The next post in this series is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment